Frequently Asked Questions

To refer a potential violation of the Standard of Conduct by a student or student organization, complete the online Incident Reporting Form.

If you are looking to refer a student of concern to Student Support Services, please complete the UCARE Referral Form.

This form may be completed anonymously, however, please note that this may hinder Community Standards in gathering adequate information to adjudicate any potential violations.

If Student Support and Community Standards receives a report that a violation may have occurred, it is our first step to speak with you to get your personal insight into the incident. This letter will come to your Missouri S&T email account via Maxient, our online software. The first thing you should do is review the letter in its entirety. Some important things to look for are:

  • The date and a brief summary of the incident
  • The date, time, and location of your meeting. This time is scheduled by consulting your academic schedule
  • The name of the conduct administrator for your case
  • Support and accommodation resources

Once you have reviewed the letter, it is very important that you reply to the notice within one business day to confirm your meeting or request a new meeting time if a conflict arises.

Most correspondence for conduct related matters will be sent to you via Maxient, our secure management platform. To ensure your privacy, all letters are secured and require you to input your Missouri S&T student ID number. If you have issues accessing your letter, or wish to confirm its legitimacy, please contact Student Support and Community Standards

If you are receiving the letter as the President or representative of a student organization, contact Student Support and Community Standards for the code to access the letter.

During the conduct meeting, the conduct administrator will explain the alleged incident to you and allow you to provide your personal experience during the incident. The conduct administrator will work with you to understand the violation(s) of the Standard of Conduct, should there be any, and how those actions impact you and the community.

If you are found to have violated the Standard of Conduct, the conduct administrator will discuss with you any future action steps to resolve the matter. This is done via an informal disposition.

Yes! You are permitted to bring someone with you to serve as an advisor. 

If you wish to bring someone to your meeting, complete an Authorized Release of Information at least one business day prior to your meeting.

After Student Support and Community Standards have completed its investigation and have met with you, we generally will offer an informal disposition. The informal disposition includes:

  • A summary of the violation
  • A summary of the facts discovered in the investigation
  • Proposed resolution and developmental outcomes
  • An allotted timeframe to accept or reject the informal disposition

Should the informal disposition be accepted, all proposed resolution requirements will go into effect. If rejected, the student or student organization representative will meet with the conduct administrator or designee to discuss the formal hearing process. If the student or student organization representative does not reply to the informal disposition within the allotted timeframe, the informal disposition automatically goes into effect as well as the proposed outcomes.

It is always our hope to gain your personal perspective of the incident and to have educational and developmental conversations with you that may assist you in your future endeavors. Should you choose not to attend meetings with Student Support and Community Standards, a finding may be made in your absence based upon the information available to the conduct administrator.

First, it is important to note that the conduct process is meant to be educational and developmental in nature, not comparable to or resembling a legal process. As such, you won’t hear terminology like verdict, guilty, trial, plaintiff, accused, etc. Instead, you will hear terms like “responsible,” “not responsible,” “conduct meeting,” or “hearing.” If you are unsure about certain terms, reach out to the conduct administrator outlined in your meeting request letter or informal disposition.

All determinations in the conduct process are made based upon the preponderance of the evidence standard. Meaning, it is “more likely than not” that there is a violation of the Standard of Conduct.

Communication is always the key. We can’t work with you if we don’t know there is an issue. While an extension is not a guarantee, we can work with you to develop a plan for completing the requirements.

Overdue requirements often result in a hold being placed on your student account preventing future course registrations.

Generally, Student Support and Community Standards will place a hold on your student account when you have outstanding requirements from a student conduct matter. This hold will prevent you from registering for classes.

If you have a hold, consult your informal disposition to determine what requirements you need to complete or contact us.

Student Support and Community Standards is committed to maintaining the safety and well-being of our campus communities and its members. Section A of the Standard of Conduct provides that “the University may take appropriate action, including, but not limited to the imposition of sanctions under Sections 200.020 and 600.040 of the Collected Rules and Regulations against students and student organizations for conduct occurring in other settings, including off campus, in order to protect the physical safety of students, faculty, staff, and visitors or if there are effects of the conduct that interfere with or limit students' ability to participate in or benefit from the University's educational programs and activities.”

The conduct process is independent of any legal proceedings and strives to be a more educational and developmental process.

All relevant conduct records are protected under FERPA. We generally will not release your conduct records to other parties without your express consent.

However, the University of Missouri Parental Notification Policy allows for notification of parents or legal guardians in some cases of alcohol or controlled substances related violations where the respondent is under the age of 21. 

If you have other questions, please contact Student Support and Community Standards.

107 Norwood Hall
320 W. 12th Street, Rolla, MO 65409