How UCARE Works
UCARE (University Committee for Assistance, Response, and Evaluation) is the central point of contact and referral for students who may be experiencing a personal, academic, financial, wellbeing, and/or other concern. Below is the general process followed when a UCARE Referral is received, but it is important to note that referrals assessed as being more urgent may result in different outreach efforts, such as a welfare check.
- A UCARE Referral is submitted for a Missouri S&T student
- A Care Manager will evaluate the referral, gather additional information as needed, and reach out to the referred student to offer support.
- The student is offered the opportunity to meet with a Care Manager. In this meeting, the Care Manager assesses their current situation, evaluates their needs, and provides intervention recommendations and/or supportive referrals.
- The Care Manager will update the referring party as they are able to. Please feel free to email email@example.com to request an update.
Why You Should Submit a UCARE Referral
- Early intervention: Often, a quick response to provide a student experiencing a challenge or distress with timely resources will ensure that the student remains on track academically. Referrals may involve things like wellbeing concerns, missed classes, changes in behavior or appearance, isolation from friends and family, course withdrawals or leaves, and overall interruption of the student’s experience.
- Connecting the Dots: UCARE receives referrals from students, campus partners, family members, and friends. Collecting pieces of the puzzle helps to understand the totality of the student’s circumstance and provide a greater level of support tailored to the needs of the student.
- It Might Be Required: Under certain circumstances, faculty, staff, and students are obligated to report acts of violence and other threatening behaviors.
When Should a Referral be Submitted?
Are you concerned about a friend, classmate, or student on campus? If so, we encourage a referral to UCARE. No concern is too small or too large. Below are some indicators that a student may need support and outreach from a care manager. Please note this is not an extensive list.
A Care Manager will reach out to the student after receiving the UCARE referral to offer support and connection to helpful resources.