Student Complaints and Grievances

Missouri University of Science and Technology (Missouri S&T) is committed to providing an educational environment that promotes a high-quality educational experience. To support this commitment, Missouri S&T strives to ensure all students are treated equitably and in accordance with university policies and procedures. We believe that every individual at Missouri S&T should be treated fairly and respectfully and act with responsibility and integrity.

The University takes student problems, complaints, and grievances very seriously and has processes in place to ensure that complaints are documented and addressed appropriately and in a timely manner. At Missouri S&T, we seek to address all student complaints as informally as possible. 

A student with a complaint should begin the process by contacting the staff or faculty member who will have the most detailed knowledge regarding the area of concern.  If a student is uncertain which employee to contact, he or she may seek assistance from the institutional administrator who is responsible for the area in which the complaint relates or is being made. The following content identifies the initial points of contact for various concerns. Starting the complaint process at this level typically results in a timely resolution for the student. 

Students may submit complaints using our online complaints and grievance form

Definitions of Student Complaints and Grievances

An informal verbal or written complaint to a staff or faculty member that is either resolved or for which the student chooses not to continue pursuing. These matters are not tracked unless required by University policy or law.

Channels for Level One Complaints - 

Academic Complaints
Students having concerns or complaints regarding their academic experience should first discuss the matter with the faculty member or advisor involved. 

If the student is unable to resolve the concern, he or she may consult with the Department Chair.

If unable to reach a resolution with the department chair, a discussion should be held with the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education,, or the Office of Graduate Education, 573-341-4141,, or the respective Academic Dean’s Office:

If, after engaging in these levels of discussion, a resolution is not found, the student may contact the Provost’s Office.

Student Financial Complaints
Students having concerns or complaints regarding their student financial aid may contact their financial aid counselor directly or the Student Financial Assistance office at or 573-341-4282.

Parking Complaints
To report a concern or complaint related to parking, please contact Parking through University Police at or 573-341-4303.

Residence Hall Complaints
Students having concerns or complaints regarding their campus living experience, please contact Residential Life at or 573-341-4218.

Student Employment Complaints
For concerns related to student employment at the University, contact Human Resource Services at or 573-341-4241. 

Safety and Security Concerns
For concerns related to campus safety, please contact University Police at or 573-341-4300.

If you aren't sure where to submit your complaint, complete our online form

A written complaint containing information that identifies the student and reaches the level of the Associate Provost for Administration, Associate Provost for Faculty Affairs,  Associate Dean for Academic Affairs in the College of Arts, Sciences, and Business, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs in the College of Computing and Engineering, Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education, Assistant Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration, Assistant Vice Chancellor for University Advancement, Assistant Vice Chancellor of Research and Dean of Graduate Education, Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs, or the Assistant Dean of Students, for which the complaint type does not fall within an established procedure of the University. Complaint information at this level may include documentation necessary to follow the course of the informal resolution; however, once the complaint is resolved, or in the event the complainant chooses to no longer pursue the matter, permanent documentation will not be maintained unless the complaint moves forward under a formal procedure.

You may submit a written complaint using our online form.

A formal grievance is a written complaint alleging a wrongdoing by the institution or its faculty or staff and that requests further action through a specific University procedure, provision, or policy.  Students who have formal grievances with the actions, decisions, and/or processes of the University are afforded formal means for registering those complaints and for their complaints to be deliberated and acted upon by governing University officials. Details on specific types of complaints and related complaint policies and procedures are provided below. 

Channels for Level Three Complaints and Grievances:

Discrimination, Harassment, or Sexual Violence Complaints (includes all Title IX Complaints) 

Complete an online report for the Office of Equity and Title IX.

The University of Missouri does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, and any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. The University’s Nondiscrimination policies apply to any phase of its employment process, any phase of its admission or financial aid programs, other aspects of its educational programs or activities, and instances occurring in other settings, including off-campus, if there are effects of the conduct that interfere with or limit any person’s ability to participate in or benefit from the University’s educational programs, activities or employment.

If the concern is related to any form of discrimination, sexual harassment, or sexual violence, there are specific procedures that will be followed. If a student is interested in discussing their concerns or making a complaint under these areas, the student may contact Equity and Title IX located in 900 Innovation Drive, Suite 500, 573-341-7734 or or complete the online reporting form. 

Grade Appeal Procedure -

Only students who allege they were subjected to capricious grading may use the grade appeal procedure. It is not to be used to review the judgment of instructors in assessing the quality of students' work or for questioning the stated grading criteria by the instructor. (Page 17, Section VIII.I).  Students may use the end of the semester evaluations to provide general feedback regarding instructors; however, these evaluations are not a mechanism for filing a grade appeal.

Standards of Faculty Conduct - 

Expectations for faculty conduct are established in order to protect an environment conducive to research, teaching, learning and service that fosters integrity, personal and professional growth, and a community of scholarship, academic success and responsible citizenship. Faculty members are expected to adhere to community standards in accordance with the University’s mission and expectations.

A student who wishes to file a complaint regarding alleged inappropriate conduct of a faculty member, as defined in Section 330.110.F of the University of Missouri Collected Rules and Regulations Section 330.110 Standards of Faculty Conduct, should follow the process outlined under Section 330.110.G of this policy. 

Student Conduct Complaints - 

Individual students and student organizations at the University assume an obligation to behave in a manner compatible with the University's function as an educational institution and voluntarily enter into a community of high achieving scholars. Consequently, students and student organizations must adhere to community standards in accordance with the University’s mission and expectations. Procedural information regarding student conduct complaints is available online.

To Report a Non-Academic Misconduct Concern - 

Complete the online reporting form or contact Student Support and Community Standards at or 573-341-4209.

Steps for reporting Undergraduate Academic Dishonesty - 

Contact the Office of Undergraduate Education by email Please include the student name, student I.D., incident date, instructor, class, and all documented communications between faculty and student.  Please send hard copy evidence to 105 Norwood Hall. When all the hard copies have been received an appointment will be schedule between the student and the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education

For academic misconduct complaints involving a graduate student, contact the Office of Graduate Education, 573-341-4141 or

You may also submit an online reporting form for either undergraduate or graduate academic dishonesty. 

Registering a Complaint with the Higher Learning Commission - 

Students, faculty, staff and members of the public may submit a complaint about an HLC-accredited or candidate institution. The complaint process is designed to identify substantive problems with an institution’s ability to meet the Criteria for Accreditation. HLC’s policy on complaints provides a full description of the type of complaints that HLC 

Students enrolled in Missouri University of Science & Technology distance education courses who wish to file a complaint are encouraged to first contact the department chair or dean of the school or college offering the online program. The next step is to follow the Missouri S&T’s complaint, grievance, and appeal procedures.

In the event a satisfactory resolution in not reached through institutional procedures, students are encouraged to contact the Missouri Department of Higher Education, which is the NC-SARA portal entity for Missouri.  The appeal must be brought within two years of the incident about which the complaint is made. Resolution of the complaint by the Missouri Department of Higher Education is final.

Dr. Laura Vedenhaupt
Director of Proprietary School Certification
Department of Higher Education and Workforce Development
301 W. High Street, Suite 840
P.O. Box 1469
Jefferson City, MO 65102-1469

Missouri S&T committed to maintaining a safe, inclusive, and welcoming community to foster success. The Integrity and Accountability Hotline allows members of the campus community to report concerns they have experienced or witnessed. Reports may be at made at or (844) 469–6383.

The Integrity and Accountability Hotline does not replace other reporting methods, including the Office of Equity and Title IX. It is important that if you experience or witness bias or other forms of discrimination or harassment, that it be reported so that the concern can be appropriately addressed and impacted parties are connected to support and resources. Please note that University employees are mandatory reporters.

Statement of Non-Retaliation

Fear of reprisal should not be a deterrent to reporting known or suspected misconduct. Retaliation includes any adverse action against a person because they have made a complaint in good faith or participated in a University process. The University prohibits retaliation against any person for engaging in protected activity, such as reporting a concern or filing a grievance.